Saturday, July 11, 2015

Back to School Planning

I just returned from presenting at the SDE National Conferences, and WOW I am so inspired by all of the teachers I met. There was so much energy, enthusiasm, and commitment to our children. I will be sharing some slides from my sessions over the next coming days and weeks.  First up is a topic I am very passionate about.

REMEMBER HOW YOU TEACH IS AS IMPORTANT AS WHAT YOU TEACH









I know many times we feel like we have no control over what happens in our classroom because of changing standards, assessments, or political mandates.  But we really do.  How we choose to teach those standards can make all of the difference.  

How will our students best learn these standards?  As early childhood educators, what do we know about teaching young children?  Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.  But we must see clearly when planning learning activities for our students.  When looking at our curriculum and standards, we must remember to use our early childhood lens.  Young children learn through play.  Young children learn through hands-on, minds-on activities.  Worksheets do not keep our young children engaged.  A recording sheet can just be another name for a worksheet.  Balance is key when planning activities.  

KEEP IT SIMPLE 

We tend to overplan.  Overplanning is fine but don't let it consume you.  Pinterest and blogs are amazing resources, but everything you do does not have to be picture perfect.  Don't wear yourself out trying to make everything color-coded, sprinkled with glitter, and in a perfect package.  Children like authentic.  You establish the climate of the classroom.  You make a difference.  

I hope you are enjoying your summer break, even though I know most of you are already thinking about the upcoming school year.  Don't forget to add some time in there to relax too.

See you again soon!

Photo Credits:  Dollar Photo Club

15 comments:

  1. Loved your classes in Vegas and enjoyed meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming to my sessions in Vegas. It was great meeting you too. Good luck with planning your new school year and have a great summer!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is loaded with so much wisdom, Kathy! It's great advice to remember as a new school year approaches, particularly choosing activities wisely and being less concerned with glitz and perfection.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Linda Nelson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Thanks for commenting on my blog. YOU are the most important deciding factor in your children's educational progress. You've got this. No glitz or perfection in classroom decorations and lessons are needed. Build your classroom community and it will naturally fall into place. Have a great summer!

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is loaded with so much wisdom, Kathy! It's great advice to remember as a new school year approaches, particularly choosing activities wisely and being less concerned with glitz and perfection.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Linda Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing all your great ideas at the I TEACH K conference!
    Bernice Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernice! Thanks for visiting my blog and for coming to see me in Vegas. Have a great summer!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kathy, I can't find the link for the first 30 days of math, can you help?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am having trouble accessing all links I took from the phenomenal seminars! I enjoyed all of the presentations that day and feel at ease as I begin to enter the school year. Your positive energy and attitude demonstrates what makes you such a wonderful educator!

      Delete
    2. Hi Ladies,

      Can you email me the links you need to kathy@kathygriffinteach.com and I will get them to you ASAP? Thank you for your sweet words Marissa!

      Delete
  6. I got to come to 2 of your I Teach 1st classes and learned so much from them. I cannot wait to put what I learned to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! I loved meeting all of the teachers. It was such a dynamic group of teachers. Enjoy the rest of your summer and thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I really enjoyed your presentations in Vegas! I have been looking for the gingerbread rule song you presented in the first 30 days. Is it posted somewhere?

    ReplyDelete